It is worrying when terrible people appreciate you and the things you say. It forces a moment to pause and reflect on your language and message, but, it is possible that the vile audience may be outliers who misinterpret you.
President Donald Trump disavowed the endorsement of anti-Semite David Duke but many liberals still believe that the basic fact that Duke was drawn to Trump’s rhetoric was enough of a signal that Trump traded in hate.
So how can anyone who claims to not be an anti-Semite or be pro-Israel go anywhere near Senator Bernie Sanders who WELCOMES, ENDORSES and CELEBRATES ANTISEMITES and ANTI-ZIONISTS.
Here is a selection of some of Sanders’ buddies and surrogates.
Muslim Women’s March organizer is a proud anti-Zionist and slams anyone who takes issues with her tirades of hate. Here is a selection of some of her remarks:
- “Nothing is creepier than Zionism. Challenge racism”
- “We need to dismantle the Israeli occupation of Palestine, and that requires us to dismantle AIPAC too.”
- “peace in the Middle East does not mean that we have to support right wing racist governments that currently exist in Israel”
- “If you’re on the side of the oppressor [Israel], or you’re defending the oppressor, or you’re actually trying to humanize the oppressor”
- “any visible Palestinian-American woman who is at the forefront of any social-justice movement is an immediate target of the right wing and right-wing Zionists”
- “Israeli apartheid regime”
- “Israel is Built on the Idea That Jews are Supreme to Everyone Else”
- “Jesus was a Palestinian of Nazareth.” —– a lie, like everything else she said.
Fear not. The hater of Israel does a soft side to her. For Bernie Sanders:
- “I love Bernie Sanders and want him to be the President of the United States.”
Cong. Ilan Omar
Congresswoman Ilhan Omar has attacked Israel, pro-Israeli Americans and AIPAC, the American-Israel Public Affairs Committee:
- “Israel has hypnotized the world, may Allah awaken the people and help them see the evil doings of Israel.”
- “It’s all about the Benjamins baby,” meaning AIPAC
- “a lot of our Jewish constituents, a lot of our allies, go to thinking that everything we say about Israel, to be anti-Semitic, because we are Muslim.” (inverting cause-and-effect that it’s not her antisemitism, but Jewish hatred of Muslims at the root of her dislike – a double insult)
- “I want to talk about the political influence in this country that says it is OK for people to push for allegiance to a foreign country [Israel]”
Bernie Sanders said that Omar was “one of the greatest people I know.”
Sanders is not alone. That same racist that expressed support for Donald Trump did the same for Omar. David Duke said “By defiance to Z.O.G. [Zionist Occupation Government] Ilhan Omar is NOW the most important Member of the US Congress!”
Former British MP George Galloway
George Galloway cozies up to terrorist groups like Hezbollah and Hamas the way a newborn cub cleaves to its mother. His various forms of Holocaust denial and overall vitriol made it difficult to stay in government.
- “Nazism and Zionism were two sides of the same coin.”
- “the Zionist movement and the newspapers and news media which are controlled by Zionism“
- “I glorify the Hezbollah national resistance movement, and I glorify the leader of Hezbollah, Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah”
- “the Palestinian people in Gaza are the new Warsaw Ghetto, and those who are murdering them are the equivalent of those who murdered the Jews in Warsaw in 1943,” equating Jews with Nazis
In regards to Bernie Sanders, he offered the following tweet:
Former British Head of Labour Jeremy Corbyn
The antisemitism that took root in the Labour Party under Corbyn was horrific. An estimated 87 per cent of British Jews consider Corbyn to be an antisemite and many Jewish members of Parliament resigned because of him. The former Chief Rabbi of Britain, Lord Jonathan Sachs said that Corbyn gives “support to racists, terrorists and dealers of hate, who want to kill Jews and remove Israel from the map,” and uses “the language of classic prewar European antisemitism.” Some of Corbyn’s comments:
- “you saw apartheid being introduced all over the West Bank of Palestine.”
- “I suspect the hand of Israel in this whole process of destabilization [of Egypt].”
- “The West Bank [is] under occupation of the very sort that is recognizable by many people in Europe who suffered occupation during the Second World War,” comparing the Jewish State to Nazi Germany
- “I think the boycott campaign, divestment campaign, is part and parcel of a legal process that has to be adopted.”
Sanders loves the man. He offered the following comments about Corbyn:
- “what Corbyn has tried to do with the Labour Party is not dissimilar to what some of us are trying to do to the Democratic Party.”
- “I have been very impressed by the work that Corbyn has done and the campaign he is running and I wish him the very best.”
Cong. Rashida Tlaib
Tlaib is a member of the U.S. House of Representatives who gained fame for cursing out President Donald Trump as soon as she was sworn into office. Her comments about Jews and Israel have had a similar streak of invective:
- “the right to boycott the racist policies of the government and state of Israel.”
- “there is continued dehumanization and racist policies by the State of Israel”
- “KIDNAPPED & EXECUTED 7 year old #Palestinian child Qusai was kidnapped by a Herd of violent #Israeli settlers” was a re-tweet of a false news story about a boy who accidentally drowned. She made no apology for the post.
- “it was my ancestors, Palestinians, who lost their land and some lost their lives, their livelihood, their human dignity, their existence in many ways, have been wiped out, and some people’s passports… I mean, just all of it was in the name of trying to create a safe haven for Jews.” A complete denial and inversion of facts when her ancestors fought to keep the Jews out of Palestine and conspired with the Nazis.
Regarding Sanders, Tlaib tweeted “I am endorsing Amo Bernie Sanders because he’s not gonna sell us out.”
Keith Ellison had been a Congressman before moving to a senior position at the Democratic National Committee.
- “Whether one supports or opposes the establishment of Israel in Palestine and Israel’s present policies, Zionism, the ideological undergirding of Israel, is a debatable political philosophy.”
- “Political Zionism is off-limits no matter what dubious circumstances Israel was founded under; no matter what the Zionists do to the Palestinians; and no matter what wicked regimes Israel allies itself with – like South Africa. This position is untenable.”
- “The United States’ foreign policy in the Middle East is governed by what is good or bad through a country of seven million people [Israel]. A region of 350 million all turns on a country of 7 million. Does that make sense? Is that logic?”
Noted Democratic donor and Israeli-American Haim Saban said the following of Ellison:
- “If you go back to his positions, his [Ellison’s] statements, his speeches, the ways he voted, he’s clearly an antisemite and anti-Israel individual.”
Sanders turned to Princeton University professor Cornel West in 2016 to help him draft the official policies of the Democratic Party. He was proud to list him as a supporter in 2016 and again in this election cycle. Here are some choice words from West on Israel:
- “for too long, the Democratic Party has been beholden to AIPAC”
- “the only option a desperate Palestinian counter-violent struggle against the structural and military violence of the occupying Israeli state”
- “the suffering of precious Palestinians under a vicious Israeli occupation is a crime against humanity”
- “settler-colonial enterprise”
- “Gaza is not just a “kind of” concentration camp, it is the hood on steroids.”
- “The rockets of Hamas indeed are morally wrong and politically ineffective – but these crimes pale in the face of the U.S. supported Israeli slaughters of innocent civilians”
- “heroic Palestinian tradition of critique and resistance”
- “‘Shame the Congressional Black Caucus’ 4 not denouncing #Israeliapartheid”
- “Israeli state terrorism in action and its Jewish racism in motion.”
His long screed of attacks on Israel never made Sanders pause about embracing the man.
Noam Chomsky is a linguist and a proud progressive who trashes Israel frequently.
- Israel’s “escalating policy of apartheid,”
- “for decades, Israel has been kidnapping and killing civilians,”
- “Israel is virtually a US military base, an offshoot of the US military system”
- “It [Israel] carried out oppressive, brutal often murderous policies – mainly the usual imperial techniques: humiliation, degradation”
- “you can be both an anti-Semitic Christian fundamentalist and a strong supporter of Israeli oppression and atrocities.”
- “Jews in the US are the most privileged and influential part of the population. You find occasional instances of anti-Semitism but they are marginal. There’s plenty of racism, but it’s directed against Blacks, Latinos, Arabs are targets of enormous racism.” Note: Jews are statistically more likely to suffer hate crimes than any other group by a wide margin.
- “In the Occupied Territories, what Israel is doing is much worse than apartheid. To call it apartheid is a gift to Israel, at least if by ‘apartheid’ you mean South African-style apartheid. What is happening in the Occupied Territories is much worse. There is a crucial difference. The South African Nationalists needed the black population. That was their workforce…The Israeli relationship to the Palestinians in the Occupied Territories is totally different. They just do not want them. They want them out, or at least in prison.”
Regarding Bernie Sanders, Chomsky said “If I were voting in the primary, I would vote for him.”
Other Notable Endorsements
The Sanders campaign proudly lists many other people who endorse the Democratic Socialist.
- British MP Richard Burgon makes the list. He once said “The enemy of the Palestinian people are Zionists, and Zionism is the enemy of peace and the enemy of the Palestinian people.”
- Scottish MP Ross Greer proudly endorses Bernie. He also says “Israel is not a beacon of democracy and decency. It is a colonial occupier, an apartheid state and an abuser of children.”
- Canadian MP Niki Ashton is a supporter of the BDS movement against Israel and attended a rally supporting Palestinian terrorists saying she “was honoured to stand with many in remembering the Nakba”
- Seattle City Council Member Kshama Sawant felt it appropriate to weigh in on Israel and pushed to have all members of the city council sign a letter saying “We also call for an immediate end to all U.S. government military aid for the Israel.”
- Former Ohio State Senator Nina Turner weighed in on the 2016 Democratic platform and tweeted “It’s heavy in here right now #DemPlatform debate over ending occupation and illegal settlements Israel-Palestine…heavy!!!”
The list of anti-Israel Bernie supporters goes on.
In the other direction, Bernie Sanders has endorsed some alt-leftists in their own search for political gold. Sanders endorsed Cenk Uygur saying “Cenk has been a longtime fighter against the corrupt forces in our politics and he’s inspired people all across the country.” This is the same Cenk who said “Israel is a brutal, fascist ethnostate posing as a Democracy.” Sanders must find such statements inspiring.
Bernie Sanders is very proud of his anti-Zionist surrogates who peddle in antisemitic tropes and celebrate the murderers of Jews. Are you just as proud of Bernie?
Related First One Through articles:
Subscribe YouTube channel: FirstOneThrough