The United Nations Security Council pushed forward a vote that the United States could not recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel nor move its embassy there. The vote failed, as the United States exercised its veto power as one of the five permanent members of the UNSC. In response, the UN General Assembly is set to take a non-binding vote about the same issue on December 21, 2017.
It is beyond question that every country has the right to name its own capital, even a country despised by the United Nations like Israel.
What is particularly galling about this effort launched by the leader of Turkey, is that Israel is the only country that considers its capital city to be central to its identity. So much so, that its national anthem is all about Jerusalem.
So it is worth posing a question to the members of the UN Security Council:
- United States: is your anthem about Washington, D.C.?
- China: is your anthem about Beijing?
- Russia: is your anthem about Moscow?
- France: is your anthem about Paris?
- United Kingdom: is your anthem about London?
- Bolivia: is your anthem about Sucre?
- Egypt: is your anthem about Cairo?
- Ethiopia: is your anthem about Addis Ababa?
- Italy: Is your anthem about Rome?
- Japan: is your anthem about Tokyo?
- Kazakhstan: is your anthem about Astana?
- Senegal: is your anthem about Dakar?
- Sweden: is your anthem about Stockholm?
- Ukraine: is your anthem about Kiev?
- Uruguay: is your anthem about Montevideo?
The answer to all of the above is no. Their capital cities are simply where the seats of government resides. For some countries like Egypt and Italy, the capitals have been there for many centuries.
But there is only one country in the entire United Nations, whose capital is so integral to the essence of the nation, that it’s national anthem is completely about its capital.
“As long as in our hearts within
The Jewish soul yearns,
And towards the eastern edges, onward,
An eye gazes towards Zion.
Our hope is not yet lost,
The hope that is two thousand years old,
To be a free nation in our land
The land of Zion: Jerusalem.“
Related First.One.Through music video:
Subscribe YouTube channel: FirstOneThrough
Join Facebook group: FirstOne Through Israel Analysis